|Address:||105 West Brooklyn Street|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival; Italianate|
|Year Built:||c. 1855|
The home was built in the early-1850s by Albert G. Scott. He maintained a store in Gambier from 1838 in partnership with Mount Vernon resident Daniel Norton. Scott operated the general store until his death in 1874, and was a member of the Harcourt Parish vestry for 34 years. He also served as a justice of the peace for a number of years in the 1840s. In 1862, Scott was a delegate of the Episcopal Convetion held in Gambier. Scott's descendents likely retained ownership of the property after his death, as his name remains on the tax maps in 1896.
This cross-gable house is a common design of the mid- to late-19th century, although this particular house appears to be more heavily influenced by Greek Revival architecture than most. The sidelights and transom surrounding the front entrance are also influences of Greek Revival design, although the shallow Tudor arch of the transom is more in line with medieval English architecture. Each of the moderately sloped roofs retain centrally located brick chimneys. Both the upper and lower sashes of some of the windows retain original six panes each. The other windows have been updated with modern glass, but many retain the 6-over-6 configuration. Others are simple single pane sashes.