|Address:||419 Chase Avenue|
|Year Built:||c. 1865; 1935|
The Cayther family owned this property in 1896, but the simple configuration, small size, and number of panes in the windows suggests a construction date prior to 1870, possibly as early as the 1850s. This small frame cottage most likely represents the types of housing originally found on the outer edges of Gambier by people such as tradesmen, farmers, and laborers who worked in the area but were not closely associated with Kenyon College, if at all. It is a vernacular one and a half story front gable house with a steeply pitched roof with slate shingles. The door, located in the north bay of the main facade, is covered by a plain gabled portico supported by Tuscan columns, which is most likely a late-19th or early-20th century addition.