|Address:||East Side of Middle Path|
|Architectural Style:||Collegiate Gothic|
|Architect/Builder:||C. F. Schweinfurth|
|Original Owner:||Kenyon College|
Ransom Hall was constructed 1910-1912 to replace Hubbard Hall, which was destroyed by fire on New Year's Day, 1910. The only part of Hubbard Hall to survive was the Stephens Stack Room, located to the southeast of the current structure, named originally named Alumni Library. Stephens Stack Room was designed by Alfred Granger in 1902, and its fireproof construction is why it was able to survive. Funds for the stack room were given by James P. Stephens. The Alumni Library was completed in 1912, which was housed in this building until Chalmers Library was built in 1963. It was renamed Ransom Hall in 1962 to honor John Crowe Ransom after the building was decommissioned as the library. It now serveds as the Admissions Office. Ransom was a long-time Kenyon faculty member, poet, critic, and founding editor of The Kenyon Review. Along the southern end of the crenellated roofline is a murder of sculpted crows by artist Peter Woytuk, a play on Ransom's middle name. The crows were installed in 1990.
The Norton Room is what defines Ransom Hall. Originally the reading room of the Alumni Library, it now serves as a meeting room for the Admissions Office. The Norton Room has large Gothic Revival windows on three sides, which have stained glass medallions representing famous bookplates. As with other Kenyon College buildings, Ransom Hall is constructed with in stone in the early-20th century Collegiate Gothic style. Its symmetrical layout is further defined by a large stone chimney at either end, and a massive wood and glass double door in the center, covered by a Tudor Revival arch. Windows are set in pairs, with thick stone mullions, and the first and second stories are separated by a heavy stone beltcourse.