|Address:||East Side of Middle Path|
|Architectural Style:||Collegiate Gothic|
|Year Built:||1929; 2009|
Alfred Granger (architect)
Crowell & Little Construction Co. (contractor)
|Original Owner:||Kenyon College|
Peirce Hall, named to honor Reverend William Peirce, was given to Kenyon College by Frank Ginn and William Cromwell, both Kenyon alumni. It is a later example of Collegiate Gothic architecture, but fits well with the other buildings on campus. Its most distinctive feature is Philander Chase Tower, which extends two very tall stories above the roof and features tall lancet windows. A trefoil cutout in the parapet offers a sense of lightness to the otherwise heavy construction, and the tower is further defined by a small rounded turret on the southwest corner. Philander Chase Tower serves as the main entrance to Peirce Hall, and has a 3-story vaulted ceiling clasd in colored tile. The Great Dining Hall is lined with oak paneling, hammer beam trusses, and the large stained glass windows, designed by Charles Connick, illustrate the great works of American and British literature. All of the windows are grouped in threes with square square lintels and sills. Peirce Hall was extensively remodeled in 2008-2009 to expand the dining and common areas. The 1964 Dempsey Hall immediately to the south of Peirce Hall was raised to make room for Thomas Hall. Though of modern construction, the new addition does well to inhance the architecture of Peirce Hall from the inside and outside.