|Address:||9 East Chestnut Street Street|
|Architectural Style:||Italianate; Federal|
|Year Built:||c. 1855|
|Architect/Builder:||Henry B. Curtis (?)|
|Original Owner:||Henry B. Curtis|
The home was built by Henry B. Curtis, likely around 1855, as a rental property. Curtis, besides being a very wealthy banker, lawyer, and businessman, was also an amateur architect, and it is thought that he may have also designed this building.
Its basic three-bay façade, sidelights and transom surrounding the front door, and recessed frieze panels, lend a Greek Revival appearance to this narrow building. A paired bracketed cornice, running along the front overhanging eaves, is the building’s only Italianate feature, and may have been added after its original completion.