|Address:||5 East Burgess Street Street|
|Architectural Style:||Queen Anne|
|Year Built:||c. 1900|
|Original Owner:||William P. Bogardus|
The house was probably built by William P. Bogardus, who lived at 401 North Gay Street, and on whose lot the house stands, as a home for one of his children. W. P. Bogardus was a well-known Mount Vernon merchant. His daughter, Anna Louise Bogardus, married Frank L. Beam, who was famous in the county for his success in the telephone industry, acting as president of numerous businesses including The Mount Vernon Telephone Company, the Ohio Independent Telephone Association, and the Coshocton Gas Company.
This small house, built on the back part of a lot facing Gay Street, has Queen Anne detailing, such as imbricated wood shingles and a box window protrusion with ornamentation of a shell motif. The house is unusual in that the ground floor is built of brick and the upper story is of wood.