|Address:||109 East High Street|
|Architectural Style:||Federal/Greek Revival|
|Year Built:||c. 1853|
|Original Owner:||William McClelland|
William McClelland was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania on December 22, 1815. He helped his father on the family farm until the age of 23, at which time he set out on his own to study law in Millersburg, Ohio. Hon. William R. Sapp, who had an office in Millersburg, was responsible for McClelland's education. After his time there, McClelland moved to Mount Vernon in 1844, where he established a law office under the name Sapp, Welker & McClelland. Both William R. Sapp and Martin Welker remained in Millersburg, leaving McClelland to manage the Mount Vernon branch office on his own. The law firm was later named McClelland & Sapp, followed by McClelland & Culbertson, of which McClelland was the senior member. This latter partnership dealt primarily with settling estates. In 1856, McClelland was elected as a County Commissioner, a position that he held for thirteen years, evidence of his strong leadership within the community. He also served as a solicitor for Mount Vernon for nearly two decades.
McClelland constructed this house around 1854, less than ten years after he first opened his law office in Mount Vernon. This Greek Revival residence features a fanlight in the center of the gable, facing the street, and like many Greek Revival homes, consists of three bays. The first-story apertures have been altered form their original appearance, most likely sometime in the late-19th to early-20th century. The entrance has been altered to have both transom and sidelights, and a large picture-window has also altered the original appearance of this home. A large porch with smooth Tuscan columns and spindle balustrade curves around the western elevation. This was likely added around the same time as the picture-window. A wrought iron fence surrounds the property, with two stone pillars making the entrance to the walkway leading to the house.