|Address:||121 East High Street|
|Architect/Builder:||Frank L. Packard; Ralph Snyder (east wing)|
|Original Owner:||Frank L. Beam|
Born on November 14, 1858 just outside of Mount Vernon, Frank L. Beam began his business career at the early age of 16, when he commenced working for the local hardware store Bogardus & Co. He remained there for six years, when, on March 22, 1880 he started his own Queensware business in the Cooper Building, also known as the Rogers Block and Rogers Arcade. Beam was not yet 21. Queensware was a popular form of crockery at that time, but Beam also had a large quantity of other types of household goods, like general crockery, chinaware, glassware, lanterns, lamps, looking glasses, house furnishing goods, wallpaper, window shades and fixtures, pocket and table cutlery, plated ware, etc. Beam always tried to stay current with the latest styles, so it is not surprising that he would not be one to overlook the extraordinary possibilities of telecommunication. He first became interested in the telephone business in 1894, when he helped to organize the Mount Vernon Telephone Company and served as its president from its inception until 1929, when the company was sold to other parties. Beam became the general manager of the Columbus Telephone Company in 1889, and soon after decided that the communication industry was far more lucrative than Queensware. He closed his whop on Main Street in 1901 to pursue his career in Columbus, which he resigned six years later in 1905 after he was elected the president of the Ohio Independent Telephone Association, a position he held for the next twenty years. Beam was often noted as one of the leading men in the telecommunications industry, known for his ability to develop small companies, telephone and otherwise, before passing them on to other businessmen. Some of the companies that he helped to generate include the Coshocton Gas Company in Coshocton, Ohio, and the Canton Roofing Tile Company, in East Sparta, Ohio, serving as the first president for each company. Prior to his death in 1938, Beam served for a time as the vice president for both the United States Independent Telephone Association and the International Association.
this home was constructed for Frank L. Beam between 1900 and 1901, just as he launched his far-reaching business in telecommunications. Designed by well-known Columbus architect Frank L. Packard, who designed the front porch at President Warren G. Harding's home in Marion, Ohio for is 1920 Front Porch Campaign, this Chateauesque house is representative of Beam's growing success. The house is marked by steeply pitched roofs, dormer windows, and octagonal towers on either side, and a two-story bay window with crenellations facing the street. Situated beneath the eaves above the crenellation is a small Palladian window. The front porch is supported by thick brick and stone piers, and is accentuated by a shallow Tudor arch above the stairs. Heavy rusticated stone blocks form the foundation, and further accentuate the rest of the building at lintels and sills. The eastern wing, designed by Ralph Snyder of Columbus, Ohio, was added in 1925 to serve as a library and billiard room.