|Address:||300 East High Street|
|Year Built:||c. 1868|
Built by one of Mount Vernon's leading merchants in the post-Civil War era, Joshua Hyde, the home remains today much as it did in the 19th century, and is an important part of the intricate fabric of the old East High Street area. Hyde was a wealthy silversmith and a community leader for many years.
Surrounding the home is a large, well-landscaped lawn. The Hyde home is an exceptionally fine Italianate building, and has seen little change since the time of its construction. A bracketed cornice, shaped stone lintels, and original chimneys combine to enhance its character. An ornate Italianate back porch, two-story bay window, and fine window detail are other original features. The only alteration of note to the large brick home was the addition of a front porch and front leaded glass picture windows that were added sometime around the turn of the 20th century.