Address: 405 East High Street
Architectural Style: Italianate
Year Built: c. 1880
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Original Owner: Dr. William S. Robinson

 

Both the home and the carriage house to the rear of the property, were built by Dr. William S. Robinson.  Very little is known about Dr. Robinson, but his taste in fine Italianate architecture, one of the finest examples along East High Street, is clear.  The lot on which the home stands is very large and beautifully landscaped.  Elaborate brackets support the wide overhanging cornice, which is further defined by frieze panels.  Additional features include a circular bay window, also with a small cornice, carved stone lintels above the windows, and a small portico.

 

Property Name: Robinson Carriage House
Architectural Style: Italianate
Year Built: c. 1880
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Original Owner: Dr. William S. Robinson

The carriage house was most likely built at the same time as the main house, and is one of two carriage houses from the 19th century that remain standing within the East High Street Historic District.  Constructed in brick, with star-shaped anchors installed to support the walls, the carriage house is evidence that Dr. Robinson was a man of some means.  It has a gently sloping hip roof topped by a ventilation cupola, with segmental windows placed high in the walls beneath the cornice.  The original carriage doors have been replaced with modern garage-style doors, but detract very little from the overall appearance of this outbuilding.

 


 

East High District

District Properties