|Address:||602 East High Street|
|Original Owner:||Frank R. Moore|
The house was built by a young lawyer, Frank R. Moore, in 1882, shortly after he was admitted to the bar. He was later elected County Prosecutor that same year, and quickly became one of Mount Vernon's most prominent citizens of the 19th century. The house sits on a large lot, and is one of the finest Italianate buildings in Mount Vernon. It has many details typical of the style, such as a wide overhanging cornice supported by paired brackets, a two-story bay window with brackets and trim, and a front entrance with double doors. Very few alterations have occurred, so that the house looks almost exactly as it did the day it was completed. There is some evidence that the home may once have had a cupola, but this has not yet been confirmed.